Sistership Corazón under sail, a Searunner 34 in Mexico

Sistership Corazón under sail, a Searunner 34 in Mexico
Searunner 34 CORAZÓN sailing in the Sea of Cortez, México

Thursday, December 30, 2010

First Mate Helped Today!

I scored today because my first mate and my stoker (you tandem bike fans know this term) lent a helping hand.  While I patched an old hole where a Nicro Fico solar vent used to be, she stripped old paint from some aluminum cleats and later some paint around the edges of the single berth.

After filling the hole in the cabin top I moved into the single berth to do some final sanding after Doreen had finished cleaning up the residue of stripped paint.  She moved outside and did some orbital sanding on the decks while I fiberglassed the bunk with that same 4 oz. cloth I used on the starboard side berth a few days ago.

Now it is time to order some more resin.  I have been using John Greer's (http://www.jgreer.com/) AeroMarine 300/21 no-blush epoxy with great results.  John sells it at a very reasonable price.  It is about the speed of cure as West 206 hardener and resin.  The work time is good and it sands nicely when cured.  Because both hardener and resin have about the same specific gravity, I use a gram scale to weigh out the resin and hardener (2:1 mix).  It is so much more accurate than pouring into containers and judging the two-to-one ratio visually.  The little gram scale goes to 5 lbs. and I found it at a Goodwill retail store for $3.00.  I did have to replace the button batteries and they cost more than the scale!  I always have the amount I need accurately measured to within one gram, so my mixes are consistently the same.

Yesterday I was able to cut the chainplates from the 3" by 3/16" plate stainless 316L.  It IS hard to cut!  One cut had to be by hand with the hacksaw because the band saw will only cut material 12 inches or less.  But after the laborious (heroic?) effort of the one cross-cut, I was able to do the other two cuts with the band saw.  So much easier!  Now the two 18" long primary chainplates are ready for hole drilling, and the bow chainplate is ready for the same operation and an easy bend of 23 degrees to align with the headstay.

Tomorrow I work alone since my helper is heading off to be with her sister for the day.  I will miss her, but still I will get a lot accomplished.  I am on a roll now!  Come on weather, stay nice!

No comments:

Post a Comment